Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Three Years Ago Today



I can't believe it has been 3 years since Ike hit the Texas coast.

Cleaning up our property after demolition
A stray kitty who survived the hurricane. My parents had left the attic open so she could go inside if she needed to. The muddy paw prints on our washer and dryer let us know she used it. She now has a furrever home.

I still can't watch coverage on it.
Honestly, I don't see the point in watching such a horrible event.

my bedroom as I left it. we had just finished repainting it.

my bedroom when we returned from evacuation. the waters ripped the carpet up!

My parents are not rebuilding their home.
Although they would receive assistance in rebuilding they can not afford
what is expected of them financially.
It is heartbreaking.

My parents did want to rebuild on our land.
It once belonged to my grandparents.
...but the possibility of losing their house again is too much.

our house when we returned. we honestly thought everything would be okay.
our house once it was demolished. it had been submerged under 5ft of water.

The property is now up for sale, and they are looking to move more inland.
I cannot wait for the property to sale, I know they won't truly be happy
until they have their own place again.
Anyone want to buy property in Kemah?


As for me? Last year I had to leave school again.
Moving into a new home required a lot more than I thought and I could not keep up.
I am back in school, and I long for the day I walk across that stage.
Working full time, plus playing housewife & going to school is exhausting!

I am now engaged and cannot wait to get married!

My only wish is for my parent's property to sale and for them to find their house.
They don't ask for much. They just want something small, cozy and cute.
My Mom wants her little garden, and my Dad wants his front porch to sit.

Or perhaps I could just win the lotto.
That would mean I would have to play.
Quick! Give me numbers!

Thoughts are with those who lost everything during Ike.
I hope you have rebuilt your lives as best as you could,
or are on your way.

Treat others with kindness y'all.
You never know what they have been through.

You can see last year's post here.

9 comments:

  1. God Bless your family as y'all continue on this journey to recovery with your homes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( how devastating! My parents house definitely had some damage, but nothing compared to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow girl, that is just so sad. I know exactly where that was, I'm pretty sure my friends brother was y'alls neighbor. We had some damage but near as bad as that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I had no idea! I'm so sorry this happened to you all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... thank for sharing your story. You and your parents are strong people. I will keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such an awful storm - I am sending happy sale thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so heartbreaking to see. I can't imagine living it.

    Prayers with your family.

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello! Thanks for leaving a comment! =)