Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ybarra Family Day

A couple months ago Mychael and I went into the storage unit that I had rented after Ike, what we were able to salvage from our house only fills half of a med unit. We weren't able to salvage much and with the rush of trying to get as much out of the house as possible while it was (or so we thought) safe I couldn't remember what all we were able to salvage. I saw a purple laundry basket full of albums. I only have photos that date back to high school. When I see people posting up photos from when they were babies or in their toddler years it breaks my heart. I don't have any of those photos... I guess I will always have memories in my heart. I will be posting photos here as I get them scanned in. 

I came across a few photos from my parents 20th anniversary. I threw them an anniversary party, I was so proud of myself. I couldn't have done it without the help of family and friends though. 

My parents after they walked in surprised. I had been working all morning setting up the venue with others and we had my aunt tell my parents she was picking them up, but couldn't tell them where they were going. When my Mom walked in she started crying and both of them were just so shocked that their baby girl had done this. I was so happy to be standing there to see their reaction to all their family and friends gathered to celebrate their 20yrs of marriage. 


My parents were married on 08.31.1984 at the courthouse, so for their 20th anniversary I wanted to give them what they didn't have originally. Surprisingly, I ordered the cake from Wal-Mart for about $118.00, then my cousin and I bought a couple dozen roses and decorated the cake and table ourselves. Everyone thought I paid a private local baker because it was so delicious.


We even had a toast. But, since I was only 20yrs old ... we did it with sparkling grape juice. The whole event was actually alcohol free. Neither of my parents really drink so it was fitting. At the end of the function a city counsel woman came up to greet my parents and declare that 09.13 is Kemah Ybarra Family day and presented them with a Proclamation.


The one thing I have always cherished growing up was that my parents have remained together, through thick and thin. If there is any couple out there that has lived by the vows they took it is my parents. As deeply religious as they are, I still don't understand what God could possibly have planned for them but I do hope that in the end it is something good and well worth the blood, sweat, and tears they have shed. 

4 comments:

  1. It breaks my heart that you lost so many photos :( I'm so glad we live in a digital age now & it's so much easier to backup/save/keep photos long term. It makes me so happy to go through old pics, scan them, put them on my blog & write a little of my story & my history. That's so wonderful you threw them a party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I hope one day I can plan a 20 year anniversary for my parents ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I love these!! So full of love :) Love old stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello! Thanks for leaving a comment! =)