Thursday, June 28, 2012

#FitFluential: Running

Follow me on My Fitness Pal 

I went for my first run of the summer not too long ago. It's always frustrating to go back to any exercise after you have taken some time off of it. Running is something that I feel anyone can pick up and be good at. I am lucky to live in a beautiful area. Beautiful to me anyway. I love to run by the water, there is just something so calming about it. 

So why do I run? 
  • It is just me listening to my footsteps, my breathe and the beat of my own heart. I get to a point where everything else around me just kind of disappears and I am one with my body. It's a beautiful feeling. 
  • You see the world around you differently. You notice little things around your area that you never noticed before and you can take the time to stop and smell the roses. 
  • Running is something that you can do at your own leisure.
  • It doesn't require a gym membership. - saving money is always a plus right? plus if you want to run races it can help you get used to different terrain. running in an air conditioned gym in the middle of the summer is not the same as running out in the texas heat. learned that lesson a few years ago.
  • You meet new people. - Mychael and I did our "marina run" and stopped at the light house to rest up a bit, while we were there we met another couple who were probably a little older than our parents. They had encouraging words for us regarding our futures and our dreams. Complete strangers, and now new friends that we will probably stop and talk to when we do that run.  
  • It's fun!!!

My favorite running shoes are made by Mizuno. We have a local running store and they fit your for the perfect shoes based on your step. It's amazing. I used to have knee and ankle pain after running, once I had shoes fit for my step - those pains all went away. It is important to have a good pair of running shoes - if you have a running store near you I recommend going to be fit. You won't regret it. 

My long term goal is to eventually run a half marathon. I don't need to win it, but I would love to complete one.

Are you a runner? What are some of the best tips you have received? 
Want to run? What your long term goals? 
Interested in joining #FitFluential? Contact me, I'll help you make sure you complete all steps! 

8 comments:

  1. Wait... There's a mizuno store? And water to run by? Mind = blown. For reals.

    I need to get back into running but I can't handle this heat. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went running tonight for the first time in a long time and it felt so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a wannabe runner. We just started about a month ago & I'm very slowly getting better. I feel like I'm dying & accomplishing something at the same time. It's pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started running in January. I was making slow but steady progress, and finally feeling comfortable calling myself a "runner" sometime around April. And then I broke my foot! I was in a cast & on crutches, and then in a boot, but now it's finally healed and I just started running again a couple weeks ago. It's really hard to get back into it, but I know I just need to stick with it and it will be worth it. It wasn't like starting from scratch, but I definitely lost some stamina. I have to take more walking breaks now. But I'll get back there, I know it!

    I wear Mizunos too. Love the mesh and how they expand so when your feet swell, they're still comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not the best runner, but I definitely enjoy running. It's just a great stress reliver and an easy way to kick the day away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!! What distances do you run? Have you done any 5/10ks or marathons? I love to run...by myself or with just my significant other though. The thought of running competitively doesn't work for me bc I'm so competitive that I will run myself into the ground long before the finish line. (learned the hard way on treadmills at the gym) I can't pace myself with multitudes of ppl around me- I always want to be ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love running. I love that it gives me goals - half marathons, marathons, goal times. I love listening to the sound of my feet hitting the pavement and the controlled rhythm of my breathing. I'm convinced it's the only reason I'm not in therapy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though I would love to be a runner, I just can't seem to get into it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello! Thanks for leaving a comment! =)