Wednesday, June 27, 2012

On Contentment

My husband and I
I'm Megg, and I write over at The Life of a not so Desperate Housewife. I knit, cross stitch, make jewelry and scrapbooks and play mancala and Monopoly at work. I live in Seattle with my husband and two crazy cats.

I'm in a season of my life that I never expected to be in 2 years ago, when I married my husband. Or 6 years ago, when I first met him. Or 11 years ago, as I was heading into my last semester in high school. For better or for worse, this is where I am now.
For better or for worse, I'm working part time, in a job I love that isn't exactly in my field (although it's a lot closer than when I was working in an office last year).

When we first got married, I thought we'd be talking about having a kid after our second anniversary, and start a family soon after that anniversary. Well, we just hit 2 1/2 years and though we did have that discussion, neither of us feels that we are ready, for various reasons.

When I graduated with a Masters in Library and Information Science 2 1/2 years ago, I thought I'd be working as a children's librarian in a public library by now. For better or for worse, I'm working with kids, but not in a library setting.

 
There are so many things that I could be discontent about in my life right now. I'm not living the life I thought I'd be living by now. But you know what? That's OK. I'm learning to be content with the season of life I'm in. It's not perfect, but it's my life.

 
So, I go to work every day and smile because the kids make me happy. I wake up every morning next to my husband and smile because we have this time together, just the two of us. I sit on my Freecycle couch instead of the recliners that I thought we would have by now, and I'm thankful that we at least have a couch to sit on.

 The truth is, I'm incredibly blessed, even if I'm not living the life that I always thought I would be. I'm learning to be content in what I have, and not comparing myself to others. It can be a struggle, but then I remind myself that I will never have these years back. I know in 10 years, I will look back on this season of my life and be glad I experienced everything I did. It isn't always what I want, but it's my life, and I'm learning to love it, and myself, just the way I am.

3 comments:

  1. I doubt that things would ever turn out well if we insisted on sticking to our own plans in life. I know where I'm at now is much better than where I would be if I had always done exactly what I planned. At this point in my life, I don't plan for the future too much anymore...God already knows, so I'll just trust Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely busted my butt to get everything that I wanted for myself. And this is in no way a way to make myself better than you, or anyone for that matter. I had my fair share if hitting brick walls, as well as getting some pretty lucky cards, that I should’ve NEVER gotten. However, I always saw getting the things I worked for as “the grass is greener on the other side”, but let me tell you, it’s maybe a shade greener, but not that much greener. It’s nice that I can spend money freely, and I’m sure that’s something a lot of people wish they could do. It’s nice that I was able to buy my own car, move into my own apartment, have a job that I actually got a degree for, but I’m not exactly as happy as I thought I’d be. I won’t say I hate my job, because I don’t, but I won’t say that I love it either. It’s something that I do every day and that is all that I am able to see it as right now. Granted I got a new job almost two months ago, I still haven’t gotten my feet wet at my new job.
    Interestingly enough, I kind of envy you. I am not content with where I am in my life right now. I mean, things have gotten better since I decided that I needed to go to church because even then, back in December, I wasn’t content with my life. But yea, I wish there was an aspect of my work that I could legitimately smile about, I wish I get to wake up to a person that makes me smile (not that my dog doesn’t make me smile, because she does), but humans can talk :p
    But you’re right, I will never get these days, and years back, I might as well try to make the best of it…
    I’m learning that a lot of things just aren’t in my hands, they are in His. And as much as I think I’m in control, I’m not. So I better hold on tight for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you're content with your life, because life is crazy and it always turns out differently than you think. Last year I signed up with a website that sends emails to you in the future, and I recently got my 2011 email. Past Laura informed me (future Laura) that she hoped I was living in California with a paying gig... which is half accurate. Last year I thought I'd be on my way to being a TV writer. Now I'm on my way to becoming a novelist. Insane!

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello! Thanks for leaving a comment! =)