Wednesday, July 25, 2012

30 Things Every Woman Should...

I found this via Erika and thought I would take a shot at it. I'm a couple years shy of 30 myself, so why not.   (taken from Glamour's "30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She's 30"):

By 30, I "should" have ...
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
I can't imagine going back to any of my exes. Not that all of them are "bad" guys, but they just don't suit me. One that reminds me of how far I've come, yes, definitely.

2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
Our bed and our living room couch set and soon enough our dining table. Still searching for that perfect one. 
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
Employer, yes. Man of my dreams - Mychael, I could show up naked and he'd be happy. So check and check. 
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
Purse, hmm I'm not ashamed of any of the purses I have. A suitcase, I don't personally have one we use Mychael's and his are pretty grown up so sure. Umbrella, yep.
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
Sure, I had fun as a child, and was able to experience the college life with no regrets. I would say maybe I would have loved to live on campus, but I'm 99% sure I would have hated it. 
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
Juicy, depends on what you call juicy? I'm sure my past is pretty lame compared to some. 
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.
Well, duh. I'm going to get old, but I have control over my most of my health and my image so I am not sure what you're getting at here. Money to help fund, I sure hope so. I work my tooshie off and hope to continue to do so!
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you.
Email - Mychael has access, mostly because I am lazy and will tell him to check my email for something so I don't have to pull it up and forward. Voice Mailbox - he doesn't have the password, not for any other reason than I've never needed him to check it for me. Bank Account - although I think we plan on keeping our accounts separate, he has my password for my bank accounts because this girl can never seem to keep her accounts balanced. I swear, the bank changes everything when I get on and puts it back to normal when he does. ;)
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.
My resume has never been padded. I work hard, end of story. 
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.
Yes, for sure. I have more than one friend for each. I'm very lucky! 
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.
Yep, yep, and yep. Although the screwdrivers and drill are technically Mychael's I know how to use both. 
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.
Not yet, I feel is deserve something, maybe not ridiculously expensive, but something big. I haven't figured out what I want yet. 
13. The belief that you deserve it.
Definitely. I work hard for my paycheck. I could just do the bare minimum but I am always trying to better myself and strive to grow.
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
Skin-care, yep. Exercise, yep - although I do slack sometimes but it happens. Other things? ... like? 
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.
Career, most definitely! Relationship, uh huh! Just the other night Mychael and I were talking about how far we have come as a couple over the past 7 years and currently we both think we are the happiest we have ever been.
By 30, you should know ...
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.
Yep, learned that long ago. My Mom and Grandmother beat that into my head! 
2. How you feel about having kids.
Yep, we just had this discussion last weekend. 
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.
Job - yes, even though I still really guilty afterwards. A man - um, there is a how to? Just do it. Friend - yes, but I also know that not all friends know how to take it. 
4. When to try harder and when to walk away.
Yep.
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.
Ha. yes. 
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.
 Hillary Clinton. Sadly I don't know the names of my great-grandmothers, best tailor in town - well I haven't had to have anything tailored, sorry?
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.
I have never lived alone, it was one thing I always wanted to do but life didn't pan out that way. I know I could do it though, just hope I don't ever have to now. 
8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.
Definitely, either wrapped in his arms on our couch, or out by the water. 
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.
Actually, there are surgeries to change the length of your legs. I'm just saying. I'm content with mine though. Your hips, um exercise and diet my friends (given that you aren't at your ideal weight/image). Nature of my parents - they are pretty much awesome. I just wish sometimes they would come to me more often instead of thinking they would be bothering me. 
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.
I had a pretty awesome childhood.
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.
Figured those both out a long time ago. 
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.
Smoking is gross, casual drinking is fine, drugs - I'm a scardy cat, flossing yea I know my dentist hammers this into my head. 
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.
Still figuring out some people, but for the most part, I know who is true and who isn't. I do take it personally as I feel it is a matter of respect. 
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.
Truth. 
15. Why they say life begins at 30.
I don't think I know why they say that, but I can see it. My twenties have been full of growth and finding myself. 

So what do we think, my friends? Some of it I think was pretty silly. How do you measure up?

12 comments:

  1. I've thought a lot about most of those questions in the last couple years. It's amazing how much ten years can make a difference (teenage, to adult years) in the way you live each day, think about things from the past, and future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome list...
    Thanks for helping me remember how fun I used to be! Ha!

    New follower from GFC hop! Love for you to stop by and return the follow.

    Hosting Facebook hop now. Lots of fan pages! Hope you can join!

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was fun to read about you =]]
    love getting to know all my bloggy friends better =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers, and it sounds like you're pretty much set :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this too, and I have to say that I agree with most of them, with the exception of #1.

    And when they say that life begins at 30 - they are so right:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so very fun...a lot of those are thought-provoking for SURE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this! I've got 10 years til 30 but still feels relevant :)

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty fun post. I did it today too- thought provoking! I think I'm doing alright. Some of the stuff is less important than others. Enjoyed reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read this and loved it, and loved your commentary.

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello! Thanks for leaving a comment! =)