Monday, August 27, 2012

Vox Culture - The Last Organic Outpost

Happy Monday, my friends! I'm not going to lie, I didn't want to wake up this morning. In fact, I woke up 15mins before I was supposed to leave. I left 15mins late for work, but hey... I got there on time. I hope you had a great weekend!!! 

On Saturday I woke up to meet the Vox Culture team out at The Last Organic Outpost in the 5th Ward.  Why you ask? Let me back up a little. My friend Linda sent me an email to invite me out to one of the Vox Culture events in September and I started to poke around their website. I found their facebook page and old twitter page which only had 3 tweets from 2009! I mentioned to her that they need a twitter person, I thought they could really grow their network that way. Then she asked if I wanted to do it. Umm... I've been offered quite a few social media jobs within the last few months, I declined them all. I haven't applied for them but people have found me through my own personal twitter feed. (see people, a reason to keep your twitter feed public) She said she would speak with others in at Vox and next thing you know I received an email welcoming me as their new Social Media Voice and an invite to a team building event over the weekend! So what is Vox Culture? The short story, Vox Culture helps fight poverty and injustice locally, nationally, and internationally. You can get the full scoop here. I'm so glad to be a part of this group!

Vox Culture + The Last Organic Outpost 08/25/2012
So what did we do at The Last Organic Outpost? Well I thought when they said we would help plant that meant dropping some seeds and then watering. Boy was I in for a fun surprise. We weeded, tilled, planted and watered 3 plots. Total of about 3hrs of work. I learned so much! Joe (the gentleman in the yellow shirt above) is the brains behind The Last Organic Outpost and was so eager to teach us everything. He kept telling us that you can "never make a mistake", and since this was my first time ever doing anything like this (sure I have my little pots on the balcony, but how many times have I told you my plants died?) it made me feel confident and less self conscious! I also loved that his vision is "Food for Everyone" We also met Keldon and Mark who taught us about taking care of the land. We planted leafy parsley, pickled cucumbers, dragon kale, swiss chard, arugala, straight squash, and crooked squash. We plan on going back out there next month, we should see some sprouts on everything we planted! 

Vox Culture Group with one of our Vox Boxes

Yay we're finally done!!!
I was so exhausted after all the work, but it felt so good to know I was doing something right! Do you work with any local groups? If you would like to connect with Vox Culture please follow us on Facebook, and of course on Twitter


oh and since these were all taken with phones, I get to link of with two of my fave bloggers! =) Go see what everyone else has been up to!

8 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!! I made your post :D
    I am so glad you decided to join and attend the event. I hope Vox grows and impacts the world from your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! What an awesome group to be involved with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun!! Thanks for coming out to the field trip and SUPER EXCITED to have you on board with Vox!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome! what a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome! I'm so excited for you. It was great to read about Vox and see the lovely photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! What an amazing service!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like fun actually :) I'm proud you're doing something so great!

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello! Thanks for leaving a comment! =)