Thursday, September 13, 2012

First Date

Ladies and gentleman. We are one month away from our wedding, to the day! At times I feel like there is so much to do, and other times I am just like "that's it?" I realize I haven't been updating this little blog of mine as often lately, I just haven't had the time to sit and write as much as I would like. And, when I have had the time I'd much rather snuggle with my mister or get some much needed Zzz...


Ready for a story? Mychael and I went on our first date on May 21st, 2005. It was a casual date right before he left for a little vacation drive through Louisiana. I liked Mychael, but in a way I didn't want to like him. My ex had broken my heart and my trust and I just really wanted a great friend. Mychael asked me to hang out numerous times and I always gave him some lame excuse of "I have to wash my hair" or something of the like. Seriously. Anyway, he had written a blog post that he was tired of chasing this girl he really liked. He was done. He would go on his road trip, and when he got back that would be it. My heart sunk a little. The girl he was talking about was me! I didn't want him to give up on me. 

Part of the reason I would give him such lame excuses was the fact that I came from such a strict Mexican family. I didn't want to have to be drilled with questions in order to go out on a date. But, I did it and my parents gave me permission to go out. 

Mychael won me over that night from the very beginning. He came to pick me up in his '94 Chevy Pickup (which he still drives to this day) and opened the passenger door for me. Was this guy really opening my door for me? I got in the truck, buckled my seat belt and he closed the door. I was impressed! 

We went to see A Lot Like Love, and I insisted on paying for my own ticket. To this day I am not sure what was going through his head at that moment. Or if it bothered him at all that I was so insistent on paying for my own movie ticket. 

Afterwards we went to eat some Tex-Mex, I love me some salsa and some cheese enchiladas. The original place no longer exists but the owner did open up another restaurant and it tastes just the same. Anyway by the end of the meal my plate was clean. I had gobbled up every bit of my food. Oops. He was impressed. He hadn't been on a date or around another girl who wasn't self conscious about her eating. I'm pretty sure I won his heart right at that moment. He also insisted on covering both our dinners and wasn't going to allow me to pay my part.

The whole night was easy. I didn't have to put any effort into the night and I didn't feel uncomfortable at any time. Everything felt cozy and he was so easy to talk to. I felt like I could really just relax and be myself. It was the best first date I had been on! 

I am so glad that I didn't let him go on his road trip without our date. Who knows where we would be in our lives if he would have just given up on me. I didn't give in 100%, he still had his work cutout for him. I'm a very guarded person, but he broke down all my walls and showed me that he could be trusted and would always be there for me no matter what. 

Mychael is my rock, I know that he will always take care of me and will always allow me to be just, me. Sure he laughs at me and thinks I am just the most ridiculous person ever when I yell a song at the top of my lungs or jump around in our house, but that is just me - behind closed doors. I can't believe after 7 & 1/2 years of dating I'll finally get to call him my husband, and I'll be proud to be called Mrs. H.

11 comments:

  1. Awwww, now that's a really cute story! Can't believe your wedding is so close. How time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just cried a little. You guys are so adorable, it makes me sick :p
    Hahaha, I'm kidding.
    I can't believe your wedding is a month away, how did time fly so quickly?!
    Congrats girl, I can't wait to hear all about your wedding at the UAB game.
    Good luck and see you soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys started dating the same year we did! So exciting that your wedding is so close!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How freaking adorable!!! So excited for you on your big day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It is coming up fast. Love the story of your first date.... so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute story!

    Congrats!!!!

    Tiffany from Dreams Do Come True

    http://happilyeverafter-tiffany.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, so exciting!!! Y'all are getting married the day after mine and Nate's anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww so cute! :)
    I'm so excited for your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay! So excited for your upcoming wedding- can't wait to see all the pics and hear all about it! I love your first date story and how easy and simple it all was!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello from The TT Diaries. I love a good true love story. I had a similar experience with my now husband. We will be married 6 yrs and be together 9 yrs in April. But on our first date I was relaxed and comfortable. I could be me with no problems. Your heart knows where it belongs. I wish you many happy years with your soon to be hubby.

    ReplyDelete

Well, hello! Thanks for leaving a comment! =)